Okay, so 2014 sucked. But do you know what didn’t? These nail polishes! Which seems like the ultimate in ridiculous non sequiturs, but really, in a year that’s been as unpleasant as the past one, why shouldn’t we take a moment to appreciate the things that gave us a bit of joy, even those as immaterially material as silly old nail polish? No good reason that I can think of! And so I present to you this photo gallery of the polishes that rocked my world this year, a motley assortment of holos and flakies and industrially chunky glitters that prove that good things – and sometimes good, don’t-hate-the-world feelings – truly do come in small packages. 😉
Sitting atop the heap and not included in this gallery is my pick for polish of the year, Candy Lacquer’s everything-and-the-kitchen-sink glitter, Candy Cane Fiesta. I’ve expounded on its loveliness – some may say at length! – so I’ll say no more before it develops a swelled head.
The following nine are presented in no particular order or ranking – they’re across-the-board beautiful and so well made, I’ve found uses for them in multiple manis this year, and will continue to well into the new year. Here’s to the little lacquered things!
1. Polish Me Silly’s pink, white and blue glitter topper, Mr. Bubble.
2. Smitten Polish’s red shimmer-infused purple jelly, You Saucy Minx.
3. KB Shimmer’s Hawaiian Punch-in-a-bottle, Belle of the Mall.
4. KB Shimmer’s grass green glitter jelly, Get Clover It.
5. Orly’s silver holo of the year, Mirrorball.
6. Dance Legend’s cobalt blue jelly flakie, Sun Still Sleeps.
7. Candy Lacquer’s super fruity matte glitter, Citrus Smoothie.
8. KB Shimmer’s Frozen-in-a-bottle, Snow Much Fun.
9. Polish Me Silly’s pink-to-gold-to-green chrome flakie, Stop Flaking on Me.
Polish Me Silly’s polishes are available through their Etsy shop. You can find KB Shimmer’s wares through their own site if you’re an American customer, or through Harlow & Co.’s site if you’re an international customer. Smitten Polish’s goods are available through their Big Cartel site, as are Candy Lacquer‘s. Orly polishes are available at brick and mortar Sally Beauty Supply shops, as well as their website. Finally, Dance Legend polishes are best and most reliably acquired through international stocklist Llarowe’s website.